Monday, July 13, 2009

Take Me out to the Ball Game - Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia



It has been YEARS since I attended a Major League Baseball game, and Tara had only ever been to one ALPB (Atlantic League Prof Baseball) game when we saw the Camden Riversharks play about eight years ago.

A friend of mine had some extra tickets for Sunday's game, Phillies vs Pirates, so I grabbed the chance to go. I was not sure if Tara would enjoy or be bored.

I had not been to the new ball park (opened in 2004), and was quite anxious for the visit. Veteran's Stadium had seen better years, and was not the best for watching baseball! This park is gorgeous. I'm so glad they are no longer trying to combine baseball parks and football stadiums.

We headed down the Schuylkill Expressway about 2 1/2 hrs before game time, as I wanted to be sure we did not have to rush. The ball park is about 30 miles from home. We hit traffic in all the usual places, where we have hit traffic as long as I can remember driving/riding the Schuykill. A trip to Philly does not seem to be complete without passing by Fairmount Park, Boat House Row, the Art Museum and 30th Street station! (Traffic was heavy enough that I did not attempt any "drive by shooting"!)

We arrived in just a bit over an hour, and parked in parking lot K near Lincoln Field, and directly across the street from the entrance we needed to be near our section. I envisioned parking on the wrong side of the park, and having to walk forever, so I did my homework. Citizens Bank has a 25 year "naming rights" contract for the stadium.


Neither Tara nor I had breakfast, so the first thing we did was grab a hot dog and iced tea. I shot a few pictures from the main concurse level, and then we headed up the escalator to the 2nd level, then walked up the stairs to our section, 309. The steps up too row 19 were steep and many!

We had about an hour to kill before the game started, but I didn't mind. The seats were shaded and there was a beautiful breeze, and LOTS of people to watch.



I think someone told them it was Hawaiian Day at the park. Tara wanted to throw stuff in their hats.

Once the game started, we got right into the action, and thankfully Tara had played softball in PE, so she understood the basics. We were treated to a run, and a grand slam home run in the 1st inning. The game slowed down a bit after that, but it was still enjoyable, and we really had a great time.

The Philly Fanatic came out at one point and was shooting hot dogs into the stands. That hot dog launcher launched one right out of the park!

The crowd started thinking after the 7th inning, but Tara wanted to stay until the end, so we did. The game ended with a score of 5-2.

As we headed out of the park, we decided to look for the Build-A-Bear, and Tara got a Philly Fanatic.

It took forever to get out of the ballpark and through traffic to Broad St. I then made the mistake of getting on 76 East... I thought I was getting on West, so we made an unexpected $4.00 trip across the Walt Whitman bridge. We got home just before 7.

It was an awesome day. Tara wants to go back again! Soon it will be time to start thinking about EAGLES tickets, after all we have to check out that new stadium as well!!!

7 comments:

James said...

That sounds fun. The guy who cut my hair today was talking about how nice the stadium is.

James said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Mom Jen said...

What a fun trip! Build-a-Bear was so smart to put their shops in stadiums, no?!

;)

The Bertone's said...

That is so cool! I am jealous. I usually go to a Red Sox game with a friend of mine every year. This year we weren't able to go. I was bummed!

CTG Ponies said...

I'm not a huge baseball fan but I've been there. The stadium is awesome!!! Glad you had a good time.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Fantastic photo's. What fun. I really like the one of with the hose.

Will said...

Looks like fun! I am an avid fan of both the Phillies and the Eagles---never changed my allegiance with the change of location. Great photos! I also enjoyed the photos of the Lansdale area. Iam very familiar with many of those places, including Valley Forge.